Our Healthy Families Program is seeking a Family Support Worker with bilingual skills (English/Spanish). This position requires a high school diploma or GED. It is a full time position with a full benefits package.
Summary of Position: Responsible for establishing and maintaining a regular and long-term relationship with families.
Family Support Worker (FSW) will outreach families referred through Central Intake or a Service Provider. FSW will use a standardized screening tool to determine the eligibility for home visitation services. Activity will occur primarily within the participant’s home; each visit should last for at least one hour. The interventions should be family-centered, and strength based.
- Interview/conduct the Parent Survey with parents to identify strengths/risk factors to support the family throughout home visitation services.
- Establish a trusting relationship.
- Assist in strengthening the parent-child relationship.
- Assist parents in improving their skills to optimize the home environment.
- Assist in increasing the family support system and increase the family’s ability to problem solve and assume the role of advocating for themselves and their children.
- Responsible for assisting the family in establishing goals and a plan for the accomplishment of those goals. The assessment of the normal growth and development of the target child.
- Identify and refer to other supportive agencies, including healthcare appointments.
- Knowledge of normal child growth/ development and parent – child relationships.
- Experience in working with community agencies, including implementing referral processes.
- Ability to relate to families from a strength-based model even in an apparently chaotic family environment; ability to approach families from a family-centered service model.
- Demonstrates motivation and ability to learn and practice basic supportive skills.
- Flexible availability.
- Enjoys and functions appropriately with long-term, ongoing projects; doesn’t need immediate feedback or results for personal validation.
- Ability to establish and maintain personal/programmatic boundaries, while providing supportive services.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relate to individuals who may not share basic commonality, including value system and behavior norms.
- Believes in and is comfortable with advocating for nurturing, nonviolent discipline of children.
- Experience in working with culturally diverse communities/families and the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Demonstrates strong writing, effective communication and organizational skills.
- Enters and maintains client information into the program specific databases.
- Ability to travel throughout New Jersey to attend required core trainings, curricula training and ongoing trainings required by the model and/or agency.
Apply to: firstname.lastname@example.org